Our Historical Church Buildings
St Margaret’s Present Church Building was built in 1934. It is a listed Grade II building designed by Flockton and Son in the perpendicular revival style. It has a square, unbuttressed, south-east tower with a stepped crenellated parapet. It’s memorials include a pedimented wooden war memorial with encaustic tile panels c1918 and a war memorial board, 1945.
St Thomas Is also a listed Grade II building built in 1876 designed again by Flockton and Abbot in the Gothic Revival Style. It has a square south tower with machicolated eaves, pyramidal roof a single bell chamber. Its memorials include a marble, slate and ashlar war memorial tablet with flanking columns c1920 and a wooden memorial panel c1945.
The buildings need work to remain in a good state of maintenance. We are very grateful that charities like ‘The Yorkshire Historical Church Trust’ and ‘The Sheffield Church Burgesses Trust’ help many churches like ours to be preserved and maintained for the enjoyment of many generations to come.